Hols Sweet Potatoes
6 medium sweet potatoes
100g light brown sugar
1 tbsp. nutmeg
110g cold butter, cubed
16 oz. cold mascarpone whip
1 tbsp. light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. vanilla extract
530ml heavy whipping cream
60g confectioner's sugar
115g pecans, chopped
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Grease a 9x13 in. dish with butter. For toasted pecans, preheat the oven to 200°F.
2. Wash unpeeled sweet potatoes.
3. Put potatoes into boiling water and lower heat to medium, cooking until fork tender but not overly mushy, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, peel, slice and quarter one and a half oranges. Juice the remaining, removing any seeds.
TOASTED PECANS: Prepare while sweet potatoes are boiling.
1. Spread pecans across a sheet pan. Drizzle with melted butter.
2. Bake at 200°F for 15-20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.
3. Pat dry with paper towels. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and set aside.
4. Shock sweet potatoes out of the pot with cold water for 3-5 minutes to cool.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
6. In a small bowl, combine nutmeg and brown sugar.
7. Peel and cut sweet potatoes into ½-inch slices.
8. Lay down one layer of sweet potato in greased dish. Top with a portion of butter cubes, a few pieces of orange, and an even sprinkle of the sugar mixture. Distribute evenly across the pan.
9. Continue layering sweet potatoes, butter, orange pieces, and sugar mixture until you run out. Be sure to reserve a few cubes of butter for the top. On the last layer, instead of orange pieces, pour the orange juice over top.
10. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until bubbling.
MASCARPONE WHIP: Prepare while sweet potatoes are baking.
1. Beat mascarpone with a hand mixer or stand mixer for a few minutes, scraping down bowl occasionally.
2. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, honey and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
3. While beating at medium speed, stream in heavy whipping cream. Continue to beat until soft peaks form.
4. Add powdered sugar and whip to stiff peaks. Cover and set aside.
11. Serve portion of sweet potatoes just out of the oven topped with a dollop of mascarpone whip and toasted pecans.